Eating a healthy diet in pregnancy is essential in that it helps in getting most of the minerals and vitamins you need. There are some vitamins that expecting mothers should take to ensure that the body has everything it needs to keep fit. Vitamins form an integral part of a healthy diet. However, care should be taken not to take too much of supplements that could harm the baby.
You should consult your doctor before taking any supplement and make sure that the supplement does not contain vitamin A. Following a healthy pregnancy-nutrition-diet as recommended by the doctor can counter several negative effects such as leg cramps, fatigue, constipation, morning sickness, difficult childbirth and even postpartum depression.
Five Essentials That Expecting Mothers Should Take
There are five types of vitamins that expecting mothers should take more. These vitamins comprise the essential supplements that help body metabolism ease through pregnancy.
- Vitamin B: It bears a protective effect against various issues including fatal brain development. Taking folic acid reduces the danger of deformities of the brain and the spine.
- Iron: The most common nutritional deficiency in the world is due to the lack of iron. In the absence of iron, many infants are born prematurely and with low birth weight. Iron deficiency in expecting mothers also leads to pre-birth anemia.
- Iodine: Lack of iodine can result in numerous complications. These include alleviated growth, neurocognitive defects, congenital hypothyroidism, stillbirth, and miscarriage. Iodine is also necessary for the synthesis of thyroid hormones.
- Calcium: Absorption of calcium is enhanced by a chemical called DHA which has various health benefits. To make the most of the calcium you consume, DHA is a necessary inclusion in the diet.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is essential for both expecting mothers and their babies for building up bone health. It also prevents painful labors during childbirth. In the third trimester of pregnancy, vitamin D and calcium are considered the most important supplements.
Why Expecting Mothers Should Consume More Vitamins?
It is advisable for expecting mothers to take adequate measures of the above-mentioned supplements to ensure good health for themselves and their babies. However, there must be a limit to the intakes. Women should ask their doctor on the measure of supplements that they need to take. Excess of some vitamins can cause birth defects. Adopting a personalized approach is the best way to prevent it. Each body has different needs and consultation with a good pediatrician should inadvertently be the start point.