You may have heard a great deal about aromatherapy recently. It is an ancient art that is gaining in popularity. In the recent past, many thought that aromatherapy was simply pleasant but not actually effective. Research has proven that proper use of scents can have a positive impact on health and wellbeing. Aromatherapy originated in Europe and is slowly incorporated into standard medical practice. The key to safe and successful aromatherapy is understanding and using essential oils.
Aroma Diffusers and Essential Oils
Aromatherapy can take a number of forms including inhalation therapy using a aroma diffuser or direct inhalation, absorption through pressure points on the skin and massage. When you inhale the aroma of the right combination of essential oils, your olfactory system is stimulated sending your limbic system a message of calm and relaxation. In this state, meditative work and memory work are easy, and overall relaxation and healing can be accomplished.
What are the different methods of aromatherapy?
When aromatherapy is applied by inhalation with an aroma diffuser, oils are dispersed evenly into the air. This provides a pleasant, relaxing fragrance and - depending upon the type of essential oil chosen - can provide health benefits and disinfect the air. Direct inhalation of strong essential oils such as tea tree, peppermint, spearmint or eucalyptus may be used to help with congestion. The aroma of relaxing oils such as lavender may also be directly inhaled for a calming effect. This method is helpful in treating insomnia, headaches and stress, among other things.
Essential oils applied topically via massage or pressure point application provide the same benefits as those applied by inhalation. Added benefits include relief from aches and pains and treatment of circulatory problems and skin conditions. Adding essential oils to a very warm bath will also provide these benefits along with intensified inhalation benefits. Use of an aroma diffuser makes it easy to enjoy aromatherapy benefits while going about your daily tasks.
Variety of essential oils and some benefits
- Lemon oil lifts your spirits and helps relieve symptoms of depression and excess stress.
- Thyme oil diffused lifts the spirits and calms the nerves. It can help with symptoms of fatigue and stress.
- Basil lifts the spirits, supports concentration and helps with headaches.
- Lavender oil is a great topical antiseptic for minor injuries. Diffused it provides relaxation and relieves insomnia, migraines and other types of headaches.
- Bergamot supports digestive and urinary tract health and is useful for skin conditions.
- Black pepper oil topically applied helps heal bruises, stimulate circulation and relieve aches and pains.
- Geranium oil diffused acts as an antiseptic.
- Clove oil topically applied relieves pain (especially toothaches).
- Yarrow oil diffused assists with cold and flu symptoms. Applied topically, it can reduce joint inflammation.
- Tea tree oil diffused delivers disinfectant, antimicrobial and antiseptic qualities. It can also assist with congestion.
- Eucalyptus diffused into the air or inhaled opens the airways and relieves symptoms of a cold.
- Jasmine or Sandalwood diffused are pleasant and known for aphrodisiac qualities.
- Citronella oil diffused helps keep bugs and mosquitoes away.
Can anyone use aromatherapy?
Before using aromatherapy, you should consult with an aroma therapist. Because essential oils are strong and effective, they may affect people who are taking certain medications or who have pre-existing conditions such as epilepsy, respiratory conditions, high blood pressure, deep vein thrombosis and other potential complications. Additionally, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use aromatherapy without consulting a professional.
Once you have the go-ahead from your health care professional, you can reap many health and well-being benefits from the use of aromatherapy. Exploring your aromatherapy options is a fun and interesting pastime and hobby. The easiest way to add aromatherapy benefits to your life is by selecting the right aroma diffuser for your home. Choices abound from nebulizing diffusers that kill germs in your environment to cool mist diffusers for your nursery and silent and safe aroma stones for personal use. Select from a variety of affordable, high quality aroma diffusers from Vita Living.