Someone who washes his or her hands frequently makes us wonder if it’s a case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but for those affected by the same; a hand sanitizer is surely a welcome respite. This disinfectant has taken the market by storm, especially after putting an end to the age old practice of using soap or hand wash. Above everything, the feeling of cleanliness without having to engage in pouring water is surely a delight. Besides, most health care units or professionals recommending the use of it imply that it’s accepted and preferred over many of such similar counterparts.
The Debate between sanitizers and age old soap and water
That soap and water is still comfortably used by most people requires no mention. After all, the feel of being perfectly cleansed can rarely be accomplished by hand sanitizers. To an extent it is understandable. Most alcohol based sanitizers are best as ‘in addition’ products but using it as substitutes would be a wrong move. Proper hand washing is recommended to ward off the dirt and germs accumulated in the body part but rubbing the sanitizer till your hands become dry ensures that you are ‘squeaky clean’!
Facts to know about sanitizers
Most of us are clueless when it comes to the selection and use of the ideal hand sanitizer. Here are some facts that you can take as a guide when going sanitizer shopping:
• The product must contain no less than 60% alcohol. As long as that is ensured, it doesn’t matter whether you use foam, gel or simply hand wipes.
• Good quality sanitizers contain moisturizers (vitamin E, aloe, glycerin) in addition to thickening agents, preservatives and fragrances.
• Research has found that families using sanitizers regularly suffer less when it comes to gastrointestinal infections and the like.
• Sanitizers must be used sparingly for only a little amount of product rubbed for about 30 seconds can do the trick.
• Aside the alcohol based ones; few other alternatives in the form of those using natural ingredients like tea tree and thyme are also preferred. But they are not as effective as those having the major constituent as alcohol.
Dangers still lurk behind. Despite the widespread use of hand sanitizers and their cool tingling sensation, few components’ presence like triclosan can prove particularly hazardous for human health. So cleanliness obsessed freaks can now rethink about their decision to incorporate the wonder and do away completely with soap and water!