One of the most significant ways you can ensure your success is to develop a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle helps you age well and cut your risk of developing a life altering illness like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or cancer. Following a healthy diet, learning how to properly deal with stress, stopping smoking, limiting your alcohol consumption, and taking nutritional supplements slows down the aging process, decreases the risk of illness, and improves your overall health. The following twelve habits will increase your longevity and help you live a successful, happy, healthy life.
1. Fish oil supplement – A fish oil supplement contains omega three fatty acids. Fish oil is the oil that is extracted from the tissues of fish. Experts recommend consuming two portions of fatty fish each week to ensure you receive the omega 3 fatty acids that your body needs to maintain proper health. Fish oil has been shown to improve good cholesterol while decreasing bad cholesterol and triglycerides, which reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. In addition to this, fish oil can reduce blood pressure, reduce systemic inflammation, improve skin health, and aid in weight loss. Omega 3 fatty acids also improve brain function, stabilize mood, and prevent or improve the symptoms of a mental disorder.
2. Exercise – Everyone knows that exercise is good for the body. Exercise has been shown to improve heart health, lower stress levels, and aid in weight loss. Experts recommend getting at least thirty minutes of moderate exercise of physical activity every day. For best results, include aerobic activity, flexibility exercise, and strength training exercise. If you are unable to commit thirty minutes a day to exercise, you can break it into three ten minute segments of exercise or two fifteen minute segments of exercise.
3. Oral health – Did you know that flossing each day can reduce the risk of illness and disease, including heart disease and cancer? Research has shown that flossing once a day, reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth. Brush your teeth at least two times a day, floss daily, and use an antibacterial mouthwash to improve your oral health and reduce the risk of illness and disease.
4. Avoid processed foods – Processed foods like chips, candy, frozen dinners, and soda are filled with unhealthy fats, sodium, and sugar that can lead to inflammation throughout the body and obesity. Furthermore, eating processed foods increase the caloric intake of individuals. Instead of turning to these convenient foods, opt for a diet filled with lean proteins, whole grains, and fresh vegetables and fruits.
5. Sleep – Your body makes repairs to itself, your brain consolidates memories, and your endocrine system makes hormones while you sleep. To ensure your body and mind is getting the sleep it needs, try to get at least seven to nine hours of sleep each night. If you are having difficulty getting enough sleep, practice good sleep hygiene. Go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning (even on the weekends) to help reset your circadian rhythm. In addition to this, only use your bedroom for sleeping and sex, turn the lights down an hour or so before bedtime, turn off blue-emitting devices like televisions, cellphones, tablets, and computers an hour or two before bedtime, avoid caffeine after lunch, and avoid naps to help you get a great night’s sleep.
6. Stress reduction – Stress increases your risk of chronic disease, causes inflammation throughout your body, and has been linked to an increased risk of early death. There are many stress relief techniques that can lower your stress levelsand improve your overall health. The most common stress relief techniques include mediation, journaling, progressive muscle relaxation, tai chi, yoga, journaling, and prayer. Develop a lifestyle that includes stress relief techniques to ensure a happy, healthy, successful life.
7. Tobacco products – Tobacco products, including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, pipes, and cigars, are filled with harmful and addictive ingredients, such as nicotine, tar, and a plethora of chemical constituents (toluene, acetone, ammonia, and arsenic). These poisonous ingredients cause cancer, damage blood vessels, and damage the vital organs in your body. Stop smoking to protect your health. Quitting is hard, but it is not impossible when you use one of the many smoking cessation methods available.
8. Alcohol – Alcohol, when consumed in moderation, can provide some health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease, lowering your risk of an ischemic stroke, and reducing the risk of diabetes. However, drinking too much alcohol negatively impacts your immune system, and increases the risk of liver, mouth, throat, esophagus, and breast cancer. Men should have no more than 2 drinks a day and women should limit their alcohol consumption to no more than one drink per day.
9. Water – In order to improve your health, you must drink plenty of water. The body needs at least half an ounce of water for every pound you weigh. If you are active or live in a hot and humid climate, you may need up to one ounce of water for every pound you weigh. Water flushes toxins from the body, increases gut motility, and helps with weight loss.
10. Strength training – Strength training provides a number of health benefits. When you strength train, your muscle mass increases, which increases the number of calories your body burns. Strength training exercises also strengthen your bones and improves your heart health. For best results, do some strength training exercises like weight lifting, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, and squats twice a week to increase your muscle mass, improve your metabolism, and enhance your overall health and well-being.
11. Spend time outdoors - Spend time outdoors to increase your vitamin D Your body produces vitamin D when it is exposed to sunlight. To maximize your vitamin D levels sit outdoors without sunscreen for about 15 minutes per day or until your skin begins to turn pink. Vitamin D improves your bone health, your cardiovascular health, and your mood. In addition to this, enjoying time outdoors reduces stress, improves your outlook on life, and helps you get more exercise.
12. Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar has been shown to provide numerous health benefits. When taken regularly, apple cider vinegar can help reduce your cholesterol levels, aid in, weight loss, improve blood sugar regulation, and destroy many pathogens that can cause illness and disease. Apple cider vinegar is used to cleanse wounds, disinfect ears, and treat nail fungus.
Eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly helps to lower inflammation throughout the body, improves your mood, and aids in weight loss. Begin incorporating these healthy habits into your daily life to improve your health, longevity, and well-being. Soon you will be experiencing a successful, fulfilling, and happy life.