Magnesium is a mineral that is needed for more than 300 enzyme reactions in the body, including muscle function, blood pressure regulation, immune support, and nerve function. A deficiency causes numerous complications. Foods rich in magnesium include cashews, almonds, and spinach. If you do not get enough of this important mineral in your diet Pure Encapsulations supplements can help. Let’s look at the top 9 health benefits of this vital mineral.
1. Bone health – Most people are aware that calcium and vitamin D is needed for healthy bones, unfortunately, many do not realize that magnesium is also needed for bone formation. This all important mineral works with osteoblasts, bone building cells, vitamin D, and parathyroid hormones to maintain normal calcium levels and decrease the risk of a fracture and osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. If you are concerned with your bone health, talk with your doctor to see how this supplement can help improve your bone health.
2. Lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes – Research has discovered that magnesium plays a role in insulin metabolism and glucose control. In fact, almost half of all individuals diagnosed with type 2 diabetes have low levels. Taking a magnesium supplement improves glucose levels and A1C levels. Magnesium helps to decrease insulin resistance in those suffering from type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, increase your consumption of this important mineral to improve your glucose level and decrease insulin resistance.
3. Premenstrual syndrome – Ask any women’s health practitioner and they will tell you that magnesium can help relieve many of the symptoms of PMS. Premenstrual Syndrome can cause a number of physical and emotional symptoms, including abdominal bloating, breast tenderness, fluid retention, stomach cramps, food cravings, mood swings, and anxiety. Talk with your doctor and learn how to naturally reduce the symptoms of PMS.
4. Improve cardiovascular health – Chronic systemic inflammation is very common in patients with poor cardiovascular health. Chronic inflammation increases blood pressure readings as well as cholesterol and triglyceride levels, increasing the risk of poor cardiovascular health. Consuming magnesium rich foods and taking a supplement can reduce inflammation levels and improve cardiovascular health. If you have high cholesterol or triglyceride levels, suffer from angina, or have high blood pressure, consider adding this supplement to your diet.
5. Migraine prevention – Migraine headaches are debilitating. Migraine sufferers experience pain, light sensitivity, noise sensitivity, nausea, and vomiting. Oftentimes, a migraine will send an individual to a dark, quiet room for a day or more. Men, women, and children who suffer from migraines are likely to have a deficiency. Magnesium supplements can help prevent and even relieve acute headaches better than many of migraine medicines on the market. If you suffer from migraines often, add a supplement and see if the frequency of your headaches reduces.
6. Enhance performance – Magnesium is used by the body to convert glucose into energy. When you exercise, this mineral transports glucose into your muscles and removes lactate (lactic acid) from your muscles. Lactate can build up in the muscles, resulting in fatigue and muscle aches. Studies have shown that athletes, those with chronic diseases, and the elderly can benefit from a magnesium supplement. With regular supplementation, you can experience fewer muscle cramps and improved performance.
7. Improve your mood – Many people are surprised to learn that a magnesium supplement can improve your mood. Studies have shown that low levels of magnesium increase the risk of mood disorders, including anxiety and depression. Low levels of this mineral can interfere with the HPA (hypothalamic pituitary, and adrenal) axis, which controls an individual's reaction to stress. Coupling this supplement with stress reduction techniques like meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, prayer, and journaling can reduce stress levels and improve your mood.
8. Improve your sleep – If you are having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, you may need to take a magnesium supplement that helps improve the functionality of GABA receptors. These are neurotransmitters that calm the body and the mind. If you do not have enough GABA in the body, you will be tense, which will prevent you from getting to sleep and staying asleep. Taking a supplement an hour before bedtime can help you get a good night’s sleep.
9. Improve your digestion – Magnesium is a great stool softener. It helps the body draw water into waste, so it is easier to pass. Furthermore, it acts as a gentle, all natural muscle relaxer. It relaxes the muscles in the digestive tract that is responsible for elimination, which makes it easier to pass waste. If you suffer from constipation, try taking a magnesium supplement daily with breakfast. Soon, your constipation will be a vacant memory.
Magnesium is an essential mineral needed to maintain health. Eating magnesium rich foods and taking a supplement will help ensure that your body continues to perform at its peak. This important mineral helps regulate glucose levels, normalizes blood pressure, supports digestion and elimination, and improves bone health. Finally, supplementation can help improve your mood and reduce the symptoms of PMS naturally.